> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Getting the shade film off.....
Login | Register

Getting the shade film off.....

Posted by Bruce M on November 29th, 1997 07:23 PM
In reply to Question for Bruce M. by Gina on November 29th, 1997 01:42 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Gina:
Thanks for your kind words....very thoughtful :-)

Although I have never used the adhesive shade film, I can only imagine the kind of adhesive that would be would have to be impervious to anything water based (amonia, wood or grain alcohol, weak acids, phosphates, bases like lye/lime, etc), else the common moisture on the windows would eventually dissolve it off: a situation the manufacturer would not want. You may want to try a water based solvent as above, I just don't think they will work very well.

A paint solvent such as mineral spirits or laquer thinner would be my next attempt. I would apply a small amount in the corner of a pane with a small paint brush, let set and then use a sharp razor blade window scraper. If this doesn't help, I would next go to a stripping agent, like Methylene Chloride, applying and testing it the same way. Gasoline, a great petoleum solven is something I might also try. Finally, with gloves, respirator and power fan ventillation in place, you might try straight hydrocholric acid (available at swimming pool supply houses). If that can't oxidize the crap out of the adhesive, nothing will be able to.

Last ditch.........take the panes out by carefully removing all glazing from the outside, and then soak (submerge) them in strong acid or the above agent you tried that seemed to work the best. Then once the film is finally off, reinstall and reglaze the panes. I know, this is a lot of work, but in the end it may be your only sure solution.

Please post back and let all know how you did.

Best wishes and hope this is of some small help.

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC