After getting a new roof put on 6 months ago, we started noticing mold growth and some wetness on the underside of the roof paneling.
After a lot of reading here, and other places, we have come to the conclusion that our moisture is a combination of ventilation and insulation AND this crazy winter weather.
We think some of the wetness that occured was from having cold snow on the roof, then having a 70 degree day, which made the attic nice and warm.
Since the snow has gone, the wetness went away.
The mold we were thinking was from inadequate insulation on the floor of the attic, and some blocked soffets (we have mushroom and soffet venting with a gable vent at one end of the house).
The end result is, given our situation, weather and location (low lying, lots a morning dew daily), I don't think we will be able to get rid of the moisture.
Soooo, we will be going on the kill the mold route instead. What products are there that are good topical agents for killing/removing mold. (I highly doubt THIS mold is dangerous, with the exception to hay fever allergies, so I have no problem being up there removing it).
Are there other ways to contain the mold?
Is there any way to protect the wood from that cold snow/warm outside air causing condensation? like some like maybe a silicon treatment to block the condensation from being absorbed into the wood? I know there is an aeosole silicon spray used in automotive for batteries and alternators.