> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Geesh, I Wouldn't Do It ...
Login | Register

Geesh, I Wouldn't Do It ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 29th, 2001 12:53 PM
In reply to Still thinking about it by Boyd on March 29th, 2001 09:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Boyd,

I'm kinda jumping in on this one pretty-much late in the game ...

In short, anything you shove inbetween the boards, given the fact that the boards are still moving, will end up being pushed back out, or 'compressed' (thus leaving yet another gap.) You see, the movement of the boards is acting like a compressor, and unless you have a material that will 'give-and-take' along with the compression and expansion, it's not going to work. The ONLY exception to this is if you can control the humidity in the room where the boards are located (and this doesn't apply to what's UNDER the boards because that 'environment' is probably NOT the same as the environment the boards are actually installed in.) Assuming you can keep a constant humidity, the boards shouldn't move one way or the other. They'll either remain expanded or compressed based on the level of the humidity. Still, given that, the boards won't move and whatever you put inbetween them will pretty much stay put.

(I know I said 'In short' ...) Don't misunderstand me - You can certainly do as you are inclined to do. At least you're finding out what the side-effects are. Yes, the boards will move on the one side that's not nailed down. Nailing the groove side down may cause the boards to buckle or split from movement. Really, if you want to get rid of the gaps, 'install' the proper humidity first. Then, after some time after the boards have had time to 'adjust', you can have them relayed. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC