> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Gathering Moss ...
Login | Register

Gathering Moss ...

Posted by Jay J on August 30th, 1999 08:24 AM
In reply to Outdoor moss by Kimberley on August 29th, 1999 06:40 AM [Go to top of thread]

First, try low-pressure power washing. A garden hose isn't sufficient. The brick is a bit poreous (sp) and you need to force the moss out. Increase the pressure slightly until the job is working to your satisfaction. And hold the 'wand' no closer than 9" to the brick. You may have to re-sand since the pressure washer is going to push some sand out.

There are other home remedies like water-and-bleach solutions (of which I don't use for landscaping reasons unless I can apply it by hand.) In order to prevent moss from growing, you need to improve air flow around your patio. Trim the trees and bushes and such so air can flow around. The reason moss/mold grows is because of damp air and low air flow. Once these are controlled, you shouldn't have the problem. I don't have any brush within 3' of the house or deck. This permits air to flow COMPLETELY around the home. The deck gets some sun during the day to dry out any moisture from dew or rain. IMO, this is the best way to 'prevent' moss/mold.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC