renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Gas furnace kicks on, runs for a few minutes, then shuts off
Login | Register

Gas furnace kicks on, runs for a few minutes, then shuts off

Posted by Laura S on January 5th, 2004 10:13 AM

0 of 4 people found this post helpful

A couple of week ago, I noticed my furnace kicking on, running for a few minutes, then shut off only to kick back on a few minutes later. This cycle would repeat itself until the house was heated to the temp set on the wall thermostat. I have recently replaced the filter and changed the batteries in the digital thermostat on the wall just in case, but the problem persists.

I awoke this morning to a cold house and noticed the furnace was not kicking on. I shut off the heat and turned it back on again from the wall thermostat, but the furnace didn't kick on. The repair man came out and "reset" the furnace by flicking a switch on the side of the furance. This seemed to resolve the problem until the repair man left (of course), only for the furnace to begin its cycle again as before. At least I have heat right now and will reset the furnace myself if it stops completely.

The repair man referred to the problem as "an east wind blowing back down my chimney", but I think it's something else. I certainly am not trained for furnace repair, but the wind hasn't been blowing from the east for the last couple of weeks (the length of time I've had the cycle problem). I'd appreciate anyone's advice!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC