> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > gas fireplace logs and odor
Login | Register

gas fireplace logs and odor

Posted by Michelle on November 10th, 2002 05:33 PM

2 of 3 people found this post helpful

The house we bought originally had a wood burning fireplace. Previous owners converted this to a gas fireplace, but took their logs when they moved. We've purchased and installed American Hearth gas logs (they call it an "unvented gas log heater or vented decorative appliance").

The problem is that when we use it, an odor is given off that eventually makes you tired/ill. IT IS NOT PROPANE that we're's more like when you first light a gas stove, but the smell doesn't disipate. We've had the dealer over to check it out. Everything is installed properly, there are no gas leaks, it just has a "burned gas" kind of smell. And it doesn't matter if we use it vented or not vented.

The dealer suggested that a chemical used in the house (recent painting or carpet cleaning) may be causing it...but none of that has happened. He even suggested moving our extra paint cans to the shed out back instead of the garage, but that hasn't helped either.

Has anyone heard of this/had this problem? Any suggestions to remedy the situation? We're even considering converting it back to wood. Any help is much appreciated!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC