> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Garage Door Insulation Project
Login | Register

Garage Door Insulation Project

Posted by Norm C. on March 21st, 2002 06:47 AM
In reply to Insulating a garage door: foam insulation that's firesafe by John Monagin on March 13th, 2002 07:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

I agree with Dodgeman about fibreglas as a good insulation for a garage door. I assume that the door is one that you already have, and are trying to insulate as a DIY project. If your door is one of the multipanel roll-up doors, you can contact a local sheet metal fabricator and buy some thin sheet metal rectangles to cover over the fibreglas insulation, and use sheet metal screws to fasten the rectangles in place. If you are concerned about moisture leaking into the insulation, you can go an extra step and envelope the fibreglas in a pocket of PE drop cloth, before putting the insulation into the panels in the door. The extra weight is not a great deal, and some manufacturers actually make such doors, with the insulation sealed between two layers of metal. I see no reason why a clever and thrifty guy can't do this as a DIY project, using an existing garager door. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC