> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > garage door insulation
Login | Register

garage door insulation

Posted by Mike Breder on November 20th, 2002 07:31 PM
In reply to garage door insulation by shah on February 28th, 2000 03:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

I recently began to insulate my garage door and have a question. I used 1 inch styrafoam because the other available styrafoam was to thick to fit in my door slots. I have installed the sheets of styrafoam and now need to decide how to finish it cosmetically. I haven't had any luck finding advice on the internet and I was wondering if you could offer any. I looked at many different hardboard, tile board, thin wood and paneling options to finish it off. It was difficult however to fit the sheets of styrafoam in to the slots because I had to snap them into they kind of weren't really secure. At that point I used window foam to fill in the gaps and secure them. I thought I could simply place whatever paneling inside the slots too but they way my door is set up I don't have a hard surface to mount them to with the styrofoam behind them. I am considering getting some vinyl or something thin to mount to the surface of the slotted sections to cover the foam. I think it will work but it won't sit right up against the foam. It will mount to the flat edging of the door but there will be about 3/4 " of space between the foam and the vinyl. Will it still insulate well? Can you offer any advice to an amatuer do it yourselfer?

Mike Breder

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC