> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > fungus growing on wood after water leak
Login | Register

fungus growing on wood after water leak

Posted by Darrel on October 8th, 2000 09:26 PM

4 of 4 people found this post helpful

About 3 weeks ago I had lighting strike my home and it also got one of our hot water lines. It did not get water in the house even though it busted in the wall. I heard the water spraying while the power was out and after searching I found it. I removed the entrance cover to go under my house and it was steam everywhere. At this time it did not concern me I just cut the water off and went under the house and capped the line off and was going to fix it later when the steam and condensate cleared. It was the hot water line going to my kitchen sink and I figured we could do without it for a couple of days. About 3 days later the plumber and I went under the house and fixed the line and I noticed the wood look funny and I figured it would be ok when it finished drying. After about 5 days my daughter told me that her floor in her room looked funny so I went to look and the floor had started to buckle. It was only a little at this time but it got worse as the days went by.Now it h!
as also buckled the floor in 4 other rooms and this is 3 weeks later. My daughters room is the worst and her hardwood floor in buckled about 6 inches high and the rest of the house is very noticable. Under my home the fungus or alge has gone wild and covered all my floorjoice,seals and subfloor within this 3 week period.I have gotten contractors to come and give me estimates but none of them will tackle the job because of the fungus!I have had Terminix come out and they said that they would not touch it. I have contacted the board of health and also the environmental department and they have no ideas other than try bleach and to be sure and do not come in contact with the fungus!Well now it's been 4 weeks and the fungus is still growing and the contractors will not even bid on the job until the fungus is cleared up. I have done some research on the internet and everything that I have found out about this brown fungus that is under my house is all bad and has alot of health!
hazards. I am very concerned about my family's health and and cannot
get any ideas or help. The insurance is waiting on the contractors bids and the contractors are waiting for this fungus to be eliminated before they will give a bid. The house is on piers but is bricked all the way to the ground and has plenty of vents around it.
Please try to help me with this matter before my house is contaminated or my floor falls threw.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC