> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > From What I've Read ...
Login | Register

From What I've Read ...

Posted by Jay J on August 31st, 2000 08:46 AM
In reply to Andersen Fibrex windows by B Lapp on August 30th, 2000 09:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

10 of 12 people found this post helpful

I can't tell you about their quality. I don't know about a 'track record' for this product. And the material is 'touted' to be as good as vinyl-clad wood windows.

"Andersen Corp. is recycling leftovers from its window-manufacturing operations. Sawdust and scrap vinyl are mixed in a process called Fibrex, then extruded as linear profile stock. Standard tools saw and rout the wood/plastic composite. Andersen figures it cuts its lumber consumption by 1 billion board feet a year by using Fibrex."

I found this statement about Andersen Renewal Windows on the WEB.

I found this link on Andersen Renewal Specification, along with links to other info (on the right side ...)

From an environmental standpoint, it has benefits too. The 'process' reduces Volitile Organic Compound (VOC) dramatically! And, the process recycles material that would normally be considered 'waste'. The process requires no wood preservation treatment which is the main source of VOC.

I found this also on the WEB: In 1996, Andersen determined to sell its Fibrex window systems through Renewal by Andersen retail stores. Fibrex is a proprietary material developed by Andersen that is made of a composite of wood fibers and vinyl and is considered to be superior in certain characteristics to pure vinyl core window systems. The Renewal by Andersen store (which is aimed at the replacement window buyer) is devoted exclusively to the promotion and sale of such systems, with the stores being established in various areas throughout the country and principally owned and operated by independent distributors. The Company opened one of the first such stores in Overland Park, Kansas which has performed at lower than expected levels. As of December 31, 1997, the Company has not opened any additional Renewal by Anderson retail stores."

And lastly, I found this. The perfect venue for this technique is the window-replacement market. When it comes time to replace windows, homeowners often can't determine who had made
them. Most have to settle for a rough approximation of the originals, made by one of the legions of vinyl window makers, many of them fly-by-night.

Lured by a market estimated at roughly $15 billion a year in the U.S. alone and confident that it can trounce the fly-by-nights, Andersen has just started a pilot
program it calls "renewal." A key to the program is Fibrex, a new, patented composite of wood and vinyl. It's tougher than vinyl and doesn't age like wood. The
advantage, when it comes to mass-customization, is that Fibrex can easily be cut to match almost any old window.

Andersen's pilot Fibrex plant is in suburban St. Paul. Everything is made to order; practically no inventory is kept on hand--all that's in the warehouse is raw Fibrex and some hardware.

Only a month is required between receiving an order and installing a finished custom window.

In the near future, when a customer's old window is removed, the wood will be ground up to make more Fibrex. Hence renewal. The company hopes to take the program national within five years. And after that, who knows? "You can't go and get all enamored of where you've been," says Tremblay. "We're on a journey toward purer and purer mass customization."

Other than this, maybe someone else has some info/feedback for you. In short, I can't decide for you but I can help inform you. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC