> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > french + piping ...
Login | Register

french + piping ...

Posted by Jay J on June 25th, 1998 08:26 AM
In reply to EXTERIOR FRENCH DRAINS by Kim on June 24th, 1998 09:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

BrAin is right. However, you can expand the French Drain idea to include taking the water in the french drain (as it rises) and have it empty out some place else via, say, black pipe that's linked to the french drain.

You're in luck! Just this past Tuesday, a gentleman posted a question regarding water in his yard 'pooling' and he wants to get rid of it. His post, of course, is on this Forum! I've listed it below.

landscaping - drainage in back yard - Will Johnson 16:38:53 6/22/98 (3)
Yard Drainage - Jay J 12:54:06 6/23/98 (1)
More To Follow ... - Jay J 12:12:39 6/24/98 (0)

You may want to read my 'More To Follow' first because it's in there that I talk about constructing a french drain. And in my 'Yard Drainage' follow-up, I talk about running the pipe. The key here for you is you need to have natural slope or be able to create slope for the piping to carry the water away from the home. In your case, since your problem is right next to the home, your french drain should be about 3' from the area in question, and dug at the lowest point of the natural landscape. This way, the water that pools next to the house will naturally gravitate to the lowest point, which is where your drain will be. You didn't mention where you live but if you live in a year-round warm climate, your drainage ditch needn't be 18" deep. In fact, if you lived in the NE and had REAL GOOD SLOPE, you wouldn't have to go 18" deep there either because as long as the water in the piping moves at a fast rate, you don't have to worry about it freezing. Once you put your french drain in, there isn't anything that prevents you from running the piping I describe to a 2nd french drain that's VERY LARGE, and a good distance from the home, for collecting and leaching the water you've collected in the 1st drain. I don't recommend this option but if getting the water to the street (or whatever) isn't an option, well, there isn't much else left you can do. Just make the 2nd french drain VERY VERY large because your 2nd french drain will collect water faster than it can leach it out. You need to use filter fabric as a liner; not landscape fabric.

Best to ya and if you need more info, post up to your original post.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC