> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > French Drains (again)
Login | Register

French Drains (again)

Posted by Dave on August 31st, 2000 08:10 AM

I'd like to install a french drain on the outside of my house before I regrade the landscape. I've seen them done two ways: 1) right next to the house at the footer - and 2) 5-10 feet from the house - about 3 feet deep.

Obviously, my preference is to go with option #2 - (less digging) It also would seem that if the landscape were graded properly (which it will be) most of the water is going to flow on the surface downhill until the grade levels out - about 5 feet from the house. ...THAT'S where I would want to catch it - BEFORE it seeps into the soil and flows back toward the foundation. (and maybe 5 feet is to far? too close?) Also, I can only regrade the soil 5-7 feet from the house - so it's possible (although not visibly) that there is a slight downhill grade TOWARD the house out past 7 feet. So I need to catch that water as well, if it is indeed a problem. That's why I would locate the drain at 5 feet. The landscaping would form a "V" (with one side of the V rising much slower than the other.)

So.. what are the benefits & purposes for laying tile next to the house as opposed to 5 feet from the house?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC