> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > French Drains
Login | Register

French Drains

Posted by Raymond VinZant Plm Prof on December 22nd, 2002 07:19 AM
In reply to Basement waterproofing by Torin on December 21st, 2002 05:46 PM [Go to top of thread]

French drains are the system you are looking for. Try using that name. But it is a whole lot simpler than you think. The drain needs to run continuous around the perimeter of the basement, starting at the basket and running along every wall till it comes back to the basket. The lower block, just above the concrete foundation needs to be pierced with a rotory hammer (big one) and a 1/2 inch tube inserted into the brick, to relieve the water pressure in the brick. The tube is then inserted into the drain tile (or at least placed into the gravel alongside the draintile if you are using sleved drain pipe). The drain tile pipe is laid on top of 6" of pea gravel. Then pea gravel is poured around and on top of the pipe to just below the bottom of the concrete. The concrete should be at least 4 inches thick. Each end of the french drain should be stuck into the sump basket. Once the concrete is repoured, install the sump pump to the outside. Do not connect it into your plumbing system. Most states have outlawed the connection as it overloads the septic tanks and sewage treatment facilities to take in the groundwater from home french drain systems.
Not to tough.
Go ahead and try it.
Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC