> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > french drains
Login | Register

french drains

Posted by Mike T on June 11th, 2000 02:09 PM
In reply to French drains by Robert on June 8th, 2000 04:49 PM [Go to top of thread]

Robert, French drains are drain pipes, sometimes called tile, laid aroung the foundation
of your home to drain water away from your house. I had french drains installed @ 15 years ago.
Unless you own a backhoe, or knows someone who does, I would not attempt to dig it by hand. The
specifics are: dig below the footer about 1 foot. Put #4 stone (baseball size) down, @1 foot deep.
Lay the drain tile in place. I also put tar foundation coating on my concrete walls, and then put plastic
sheeting over the tar. Then cover drain tile with 1 foot of #2 stone. Spread straw overtop of the stone,
then backfill with dirt. Any more questions, feel free to email me at

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC