> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Framing question for a PRO!
Login | Register

Framing question for a PRO!

Posted by Joe Baker on February 17th, 2001 01:47 AM

What a great site! I've seen so many of the tricks I've had to figure out by trial and error just there for the taking! It seems like none of the guys I know are handymen anymore, and it's good to have a forum to discuss this stuff with other Do-It-Yourselfers.

With all respect to the Do-It-Yourselfer (after all, I AM one), this time I need someone who really knows the building codes and common practices to reply.

I am planning to build a garage with an attic loft. I am using a 6/12 roof slope, 28 feet wide, so in order to get the ceiling high enough I need to put a short wall (about 2'6" high) above the ceiling joists, and the rafters above that. Of course, the problem here is that the roof will place outward torque on the short wall. I was wondering if it is acceptable to do this and use diagonal bracing as shown in the attached image.

I have no doubt whatsoever if this will work, but I can't find anything like it in the literature I've read; still, it looks as though it would work as well as a rafter tie.

BTW, if this isn't acceptable as shown, what about if the upper end of the diagonal board were attached to the rafter instead of the stud?

Thanks very much.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC