> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Framing in basement
Login | Register

Framing in basement

Posted by Ron C on March 12th, 2001 02:29 PM

I am in the planning stage of basement finishing. I will be putting up studs probably 16" or 24" OC spacing. When attaching the studs to concrete block walls, I understand that I should only drill and screw into the morter joints & not into the block itself. Is this correct? Also heard that best to attach studs at the vertical morter joints vs. horizontal joints? I would like to know more about preferred methods of attachment.

The block has been sealed with block sealer as a preventative measure & no moisture enters.

I plan to use 1x2 studs & to fill the cavities with 1" extruded foam insulation. The insulation simply calls for 1/2" gypsum board as a vaper barrier. Therefore with 1" studs, the drywall will sit firmly against the foamboard making a nice tight fit. I plan to put a trim piece around the 2 power outlets that stick out more than 1". Apparently with the foamboard & gypsum board no plastic vapor barrier is necessary. Does this all make sense???

Also, how close to the basement floor should I run the walls? I was going to run the extruded foamboard to the floor & keep the gypsum board about 1/4" to 1/2" above the floor. I could also use tips on thickness of gypsum board to use. I was thinking 1/2" gypsum. Also how tightly should I install gypsum boards? Do they need any space to expand?

Thanks in advance for any input, tips, or other comments.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC