> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Framing for tub
Login | Register

Framing for tub

Posted by Moderator, Steve on January 25th, 2002 09:19 PM
In reply to Drywall Bathroom by Steve on January 25th, 2002 06:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

Another suggestion, most tubs I have seen are build around a framing that cradles the tub and supports it.

For example I have seen a 2 x 4 on the three sides nailed to the studs of the wall acting as a ledger if you will that the tub sides rests on.

Most tubs are built with a natural "fall" encorporated into the tub, but if not, you need to slightly slant the framing to make a one half bubble fall. Enough for the water to drain to the pipe. I would also make a frame on the floor, under the tub to cradle the actual bottom of the tub. Here I would use only wolmanized treated wood with no nail heads or protrusions showing that would eventually puncture the tub.

If this tub will have a shower spigot above for showering, I would use cementious board all around the tub. Even if you do not plan to have a shower, I would do it anyway, or at least up one foot all around the tub for splash ups.

I always think about all the stuff I should do when the thing is opened up and what I need to do so that I never have to go in there again.

Keep us posted.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Casings by Bill Coleman  10/10/02 11:25 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC