> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > foundation on old house
Login | Register

foundation on old house

Posted by Deb on November 29th, 2002 06:33 PM

We have an old house built piecemeal at different periods. The front of the house is two stories and built in 1870's. The rest is built room by room between that time and now. It has been built nearly on the ground with no crawl space with rocks supporting it. The foundation around the house has rocks, concrete block, brick and etc. for support. The floors are for the most part level except for the back corner on one side of the house and it appears on the interior of the house that the floor is high in the middle of the back same corner and the area where the door to the next room is is sinking. Also on the exterior
wall of the same corner is pulling away from the floor. There also is moisture under the house
because things on the floor in the rooms get mildewed. Because there is no crawl space under
the house no one will spray for termites because
they claim that they cannot guarentee their work
because they cannot get under the house to spray.
The ground it is sitting on is completely flat and
there is no way to put in a basement. My husband
refused to have the house raised and leveled for fear it would fall apart. I need to be able to get under the house to fix plumbing problems if the need arises and to also put in new wiring via
the space under the house and put down a vaper barrier as well. The dirt is clay after about 2 feet of digging. The last 2 years we've had really
dry summers and the house appears to be settling more than previous years. We've asked a contractor who does foundation work to consider digging out a crawl space but he wants to just dig
tunnels and not put in a new foundation but bring dirt up the outside foundation to the level of the siding but I'm afraid this might make easier
access for termites and other critters. There appears to be no others in this line of work around here to my knowledge who can handle this type of job. Is this the solution or are there other answers out there. Please help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC