> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Foundation moisture
Login | Register

Foundation moisture

Posted by Tommy Williams on February 23rd, 2002 05:36 AM

I have a house that has tile throughout (except for the bedrooms). I have a drop slab poured in 1968. At that time they did not have a product that would allow tile to be laid on cement. They dropped the slab about an inch and a half, filled it with sand, sprinkled cement on top of sand and laid the tile on that. The slab evidently has cracks and I am getting moisture up through it. It has caused the grout to turn white, and the door facings are turning dark. Or another possibility is the foundation is drawing moisture up through the cement?

A foundation repair company examined the house. They suggested that I have a water leak test performed on the pipes and sewer line. I had this done. There are no water leaks internally. The foundation enineer said to repair the cracks the tile must be removed to repair the cracks from the inside. My question is who do I consult to find out if there is a product that can be placed between the two slabs so if the bottom continues to crack, it will not crack the top slab (cement?) Is there a special kind of cement I can use to fill the 1 1/2" area that will be better than regular cement?

The soil here is black gumbo and very unstable. It is 32' down to solid rock. Pouring piers would be very expensive and might not corect the problem, becuase there are apparently numerous cracks running in all directions since I have the white grout in all rooms in all directions.

I would like to find a product that would allow me to solve my moisture problem without correcting the foundation movement. There is not enough movement in the foundation to do major damage. The moisture is my main problem.

I am retired with limited funds to correct the problem. Any help or advise you can furnish would be most appreciated. I am not sure what my solution is.

Tommy Williams

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC