> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > foundation cracks
Login | Register

foundation cracks

Posted by Tyco on December 17th, 2002 06:35 PM
In reply to How much cracking in concrete slab foundation of a new home by M May on September 1st, 2000 08:09 AM [Go to top of thread]

I have a poured concrete home, expanded cape in Massachusetts, (9 years old) with a few hairline cracks in the basment walls that run from the top of the foundation to the floor. a couple of the cracks go all the way through to the outside of the home. all are vertical cracks (two in particular are on one side of the house on opposite (front and back) walls. There is one 45 degree very hairline crack in the opposite corner (probably where the foundation anchor lies).

previous owner says the cracks were there when the home was built. he only patched with hydraulic cement over time to keep water out. two contractors came to look at it and both said the cracks are minor structural (some movement in foundation likely when house settled. One suggested that the house was "tugged" (ie the two parallel cracks) when the slab was laid for the garage.

One of the contractors suggests epoxy injection as a long-term solution. the other said epoxy is not reliable, and wants to insert poly carbon stitches to secure the home and "flexispan" to keep out water. doing all that also entails some jackhammering in my basement floor...

Any opinions on epoxy vs. poly carbon stitching? I've spoken to a few builders and even the epoxy guy weren't very familiar with the poly carbon stitching, so I feel like the guy trying to sell it to me is just looking to profit off my concern and worry. Does it sound like I should be worried in general? The house sits up a bit from the street and the lawn slopes a little toward where the the bigger cracks are, but neither the front to back or side to side angles of the property are really that steep (15 degree angle or so).

Thanks for any help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC