> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Formica
Login | Register

Posted by Jeff on November 10th, 1999 03:45 AM
In reply to cutting formica by Rick on November 9th, 1999 05:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi...ok first of all I am only 23 but I have a ton of experience in the construction trades. I have answers to your questions since these were questions I had when faced with that problem. Ok, you can put new Formica over existing (flat) as long as you know how to prep the surface. Sometimes the old formica may be textured and this is not going to be easy to'd have to make it flat first. If the existing Formica is in good shape, you can sand the surface with a low/medium grit sandpaper to give the adhesive something to "grab" onto. You should then clean all the dust off with mineral spirits or even rubbing alcohol... an automotive paint-prep cleaner is good. Then you will use contact cement applied to both surfaces and allowed to become tacky to the touch. The surfaces will be bonded when united, so it's a good idea to use cardboard strips or dowels to keep the surfaces from touching while lining everything up (the cement won't stick to the strips/dowels...only to the other cemented surface). You should then use (if available) a router with a flush cutting bit (MAKE SURE IT HAS A BEARING) to trim the edges. You should first apply formica to the edges and then the counter surface. Any cutouts (sink, etc) will be a breeze with a router and the correct bit...just don't work too fast/slow. You can also use other cutters but a router works best. If the old Formica is in bad shape it would be best to make a new countertop with particleboard or MDF. Jeff

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC