> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > forget old fashioned bricks...
Login | Register

forget old fashioned bricks...

Posted by jb on April 12th, 2002 09:57 AM
In reply to Adding fireplace to second floor by Scott Ramsay on April 11th, 2002 03:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

Why use an old fashioned masonary chimney at all? I would use a standard triple wall stainless steel chimney. These only need 1" of clearance to combustibles and they snap together in minutes. Also, if you use a manufactured fireplace then you don't need all the heavy weight of a fully brick structured fireplace. This is an important consideration, especially on a second floor without having to beef up all your floor framing structure. The above could be done with a wood burning unit or gas. If you use gas you could use direct vent and just go straight out the side of the house with no vertical chimney. I achieved a beautiful, old traditional look using a manufactured wood burning fireplace. I bought a decent heatilator unit ( - not the best but not the worst brand - and I got one with no fan or vents on the face so I could bring my old fashioned tile or brick facing right up to the edge of the firebox. No metal shows and it looks 200 years old. I had a nice mantel made and done! I wouldn't even consider a masonary unit and chimney in your instance.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC