> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > For Anyone Buying (or Building) A New Home ...
Login | Register

For Anyone Buying (or Building) A New Home ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 24th, 2001 12:19 PM
In reply to How to Inspect a Brand New Home? by Pat on January 24th, 2001 11:15 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Pat,

Good question! Did you know that you could hire a Home Inspector to inspect your home at various stages of completion? That's right! I know your home is already built but you CAN 'handle' your NEW home as if it was an already EXISTING/'OLD' home.

Hire yourself an ASHI-Approved Home Inspector. (I'm not a Home Inspector, I don't aspire to being one, nor am I compensated by ASHI in ANY way. They have the 'most' to go on, reputation included. Anyways, ...) A NEW home construction inspection is looked at the same as 'existing home' construction with probably more of an 'eye' towards quality and workmanship. After all, your new home is, well ..., NEW. And, in short, you'd expect 'less' in a home (so to speak) that's 30 years old. I'd also like to add that you should not take a recommendation of an Inspector from ANY party that might have a 'bias' towards THEIR Inspector. For example, if you were to hire a recommended Inspector from your Builder or Realtor, the Inspector MAY have a conflict of interest. BUT, what I'd like to say is hire someone who's interests are YOUR interests. Talk to friends, and interview your Inspector. (Go to the ASHI Web Site and look at what kinds of questions you should ask when hiring a Home Inspector.)

Now, for those folks BUILDING a home (and at most, the ground has been broken), you can hire a Home Inspector to inspect various stages of the building process. Usually, they make about 5 trips, maybe more (for free or for FEE), to the job site when 1) ground is broken and foundation is about to be poured, 2) framing is complete, 3) electrical and plumbing is complete, 4) roof and wall-sheathing is on, and 5) home is 'finished off' and major appliances (like HVAC) is installed. What they're usually looking for is shortcuts, cheap material, 'absent' material installation, quality, general code adherence, and so on. No, they're working as a Municipal Inspector nor as an Architect nor as a General Contractor, and so on. Don't worry - They'll talk to you about what their 'function 'is. (Of course, you COULD hire a 3rd party to act in any or all of the aforementioned capacities, and more!)

Well, 'nough said. Pat, get your home inspected. For a few 100 dollars, it's peanuts when compared to the 100's, or even 1000's, of dollars you'll be spending over the next 20-30 years in a mortgage! Consider your OWN Real Estate Attorney too to look after YOUR interests. (You know the bank is going to have THEIR attorney making sure THEIR interests are looked after!) My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Be sure to start a Log Book to log dates, people, events, phone conversations, letters, in-person conversations, 'words exchanged', and so on, between you and your builder for that 90 day period. In my mind, 90 days is SHORT. Usually, it's 1 year. Don't leave anything out of that book. If it EVER comes to you, your builder, and a judge, believe me, the judge ISN'T going to put a lot of weight on your 'memory'. THAT'S why you write stuff down. You can even enter in things like, "2/16/01 Large bang in basement when furnace came on. All was OK, so it seemed."
PPS: About the 90 day warranty, ask him how you're gonna test out your Air Conditioner??! (Unless, that is, it's 90 degrees right now where you live ...) 90 days is what most Appliances give you too so THAT'S no sweat off his back, or $$$ out of HIS pocket ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC