> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Floors
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI on August 28th, 1998 01:49 PM
In reply to floor paint, paint floor by Eliz. Blodgett on August 28th, 1998 09:26 AM [Go to top of thread]

I am a little confused, Elizabeth about what you want to do. If the floors have paint drippings on them, they will come off when you sand. While you may not want to sand, if the floors have boards that are cupped, cracked, etc., you will not get a nice paint job without it. Every blemish will be magnified by the paint and masking for a pattern will be difficult if you have big cracks and rough edges. If any of the boards actually have rotted, these will have to be replaced also. Have you stopped the water leak? If your boards are cut with square edges, they will be easy to replace if you have the tablesaw to rough cut them, the jointer to get them exactly to width and the planer to get them exactly to thickness--well over $1200 worth of tools. In 1909, they did not cut lumber to the same dimensions that they do today. If they are tongue and grooved edges and you get real lucky, you might find available lumber for the replacement, but probably not. Then you can add a portable saw, router, router bits, etc. to the list. Certainly, you will need some of these tools on other jobs around your new house, but there is a learning curve with them. I am not a pro in construction, but I can and do some fixing up on our daugthers 150 year old house. But I also know that there are a lot of jobs that are better left to the pro's. Why not at least ask one or 2 to come and take a look to see what they think needs to be done when they can actually see it? They can offer suggestions that you might not have thought of and could end up saving you a lot of time, money and effort.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC