> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Flooring question for Jay J and other questions
Login | Register

Flooring question for Jay J and other questions

Posted by Henry in MI on October 9th, 1999 10:10 PM
In reply to Hardwood floor for house by William Keiley on October 9th, 1999 04:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, William. Jay J is the resident expert on prefinished/engineered flooring and the sites. I would wait for his comments?

On the second issue, you lost me a little. Is the moulding around the doors and the jambs made from mahogany also? If not, what kind of wood is it? In any case, don't sand. Sanding removes wood and loses the crispness and detail in the moulding. An environmentally safe stripper is a better choice for paint or a clear film finish like varnish (including the polys)or lacquer. Also, while you can remove the mouldings around the doors (and be sure to number them so you can replace in the same location), I don't see the need to remove the jambs. Stripping and finishing in place will avoid a lot of the possibility of damage that will be hard to repair correctly, especially for a clear finish. On the mouldings, if you can find the nails, punch them thru into the jamb or studs rather than prying them off. And if you have a paint buildup where the moulding meets the wall, run a utility knife down the joint to break the seal before you try to remove the moulding.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC