> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Flooring
Login | Register

Posted by Tim Jarrett on October 9th, 1999 04:39 PM
In reply to Maple v Oak by Tim Jarrett on October 7th, 1999 06:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

Well, it seems to me that you both have MANY opinions on MANY subjects, so let me clarify a couple of things, ALL I do is Hardwood Floors and Ceramic Tile, so I like to think that I am very qualified to offer advice on the matter at hand.

As for "soft maple" it is NOT readily availible as a flooring product, and as for the list you site ALL of the MFG"S on that page use Sugar Maple which IS Hard Maple, and I am sure that if I wanted to call a mill and have them mill flooring from an apple tree they would do it as long as I paid them.

As for pre finished products, the closest thing to a "square edge" I have seen is the Bruce 5/16" Natural reflections product. Now, I know of two MFG"S who do make a "square edge" product, but as for finding it in a showroom, I have yet to find anything close. And as for the finishing procedure and "number" of coats, applied, that is very subjective and since I can't find any specs offhand, I will just make this point, The number of coats makes little difference, the thickness is the measure of wearability (except for acrylic empregnated) and you will get the same wear from 4 coats of site applied as you will from 8 coats of factor (Spray) applied, I can show you at least 50 floors that have the original finish that was applied thirty to fifty years ago and are still in great shape with no refinish.

And as a final point, I have never seen ANY maple floor that has taken stain evenly, so I doubt you have ever stained maple.

Best of luck to you both.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC