> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > flooring
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI on August 16th, 1999 07:19 AM
In reply to wood flooring by Vicki G on August 16th, 1999 12:08 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Vicki. You could do it and it would look great--for about a week. The luan is very soft. I think that in a very short time, the surface would start to come up/off in traffic areas. Yes, the varnish would give it some abrasion protection, but since it is so soft, the surface would degrade quickly. The other problem that I see us joining. Luan is only readily available in 1/4" sheets. There is not enough thickness to hold it down and in place. In any case, the joints would be very rough.

Could you do something like this with 3/4" pine or birch plywood? Darned if I know, but you would stand a lot better chance. The thicker pine is also available with tongue and grooved edges. Could work but I would not say for sure what problems you might encounter. I guess that you could also rout T&G grooves on the birch ply.

If you try this, let us know. But I do think that trying it with 1/4" or luan plywood would end up being a big disaster.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC