> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Floor Refinishing
Login | Register

Floor Refinishing

Posted by Henry in MI on January 29th, 1999 03:41 PM
In reply to Hardwood Floor Refinishing by Jody on January 29th, 1999 01:07 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Jody, and thanks for the kind words. Sometimes the challenge is to not write about things I don't know much about. LOL.

Parks Corporation has a web I found them to be really helpful. I got the Pro Finisher at either Home Depot or Builders Square, don't remember which. I have been nothing but pleased with their products and they also make Carver Tripp products and sponsor TOH. I refinished a coffee table with their water based Poly and have been nothing but pleased with it. It has been more "bulletproof" than I could expect. So when they suggested the Pro Finisher, I listened.

Olympic is supposed to make good products but I can't say I have ever used them, except once about 10 years ago on an outside picnic table I stained. No problem with it.

I can't say as much about Minwax. No big problems, just a lot of little ones and I have a lot of their cans. I picked out a stain color based on 2 of their brochures--Colonial Maple. I ended up mixing that 50/50 with Red Mahogany to come close to the color shown. When I used their paste wood fillers, the colors didn't match anything. I will still use them--I don't have much choice for stains either--but I just don't think they use good attention to detail. (For what it's worth, I don't think much of their board and there is no way to E-mail the company that I have found either.)

I think I have heard of Fabulon, but don't know anything about it. For a project as big and permanent as a floor, I would take a little extra time and be sure it would turn out well. As I type this, I am looking at a picture frame that didn't turn out good the first time, so I stripped and refinished it. No big deal. But a floor is a big deal so I would do everything possible to insure that it was going to go well and last. Let me know what you decided and how it turned out. This helps my knowledge base too.

Have fun with your floor and good luck.
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC