> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Floor Problems, Allergy Problems
Login | Register

Floor Problems, Allergy Problems

Posted by Heather Inglis on October 4th, 2002 07:19 PM

I am looking for the least offensive way to fix the floors in this house as I have terrible problems with some construction materials and carpet.

We have cracked ceramic tile in the kitchen and uneven ceramic tile in the bath. Can I have someone put down floor leveler (after replacing the cracked, loose ones) and have sheet vinyl or tile on top? Will this last?
We have 9" asbestos tile in the basement directly over concrete. There are gaps between them, some are a bit curled at the edges, and the floor slopes. What about nailing/gluing down plywood directly on top and covering it with sheet vinyl or tile? I'm really bothered by carpet, so that's out. The slope in the floor grade is well over 1" from the back to the front of the basement (all to be redone) and the ceilings are just 7', so I don't have much room for built up subfloors.
The 50 year old stip hardwood in the rest of the house needs sanded, stained and varnished, but I'm really allergic to some stains and most varnishes. I could paint the floors, but DH is horrified. Not my favourite, either. Any fixes for deep scratches on natural wood that will avoid refinishing? DH wants me to use coloured varnish over (cleaned) existing old varnish.
I can do most things around the house, but these floors have me stumped.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC