> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Flooding in crawlspace
Login | Register

Flooding in crawlspace

Posted by Suzanne on April 20th, 2002 09:17 AM
In reply to Flooding in crawlspace by Shawn on April 19th, 2002 11:30 AM [Go to top of thread]

I've have a simular problem but with one extra problem added on for good measure. My garage is 3' below grade and it use to flood every winter. I've come to realize that having planting areas right up against the house has contributed. I took out one sidewalk and planter area along one side of the garage and ran the concrete walk right up against the wall. I also sloped the sidewalk down and away from the wall and this seems to have helped a great deal. I put a french drain on the outside of the walk to carry away water from the gutter. There was only 5' from the garage wall to the property line so I really had no other choice. What is the lay of your land? Is there a way to slope the ground away from your foundation and put in a french drain to carry the rain water away? Is the water coming in on all 4 sides of your foundation or just one or two?
On another note: Are your sprinkler valves close to the house, are your faucets? That may sound funny, but the other day (no rain outside) my garage flooded. I found a lake under the house! Not that I have anything against lakes, but I would rather have the lake farther out back where I can see it and not under my house. This is what I found.. a sprinkler valve busted and was leaking under ground level and backing up under the foundation.. and I found an outside faucet (opposite wall) that had a constant drip and was also contributing. I had to get a sump pump under there to take the water out. I've turned both of them off and no more water under the house or in the garage.
Let me know what you find out!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC