> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Flashing installed "on top" of shingles!
Login | Register

Flashing installed "on top" of shingles!

Posted by Brian Feeny on November 27th, 2002 11:50 PM

I am having a builder build my new home. It is almost complete, we are suppose to be days away from closing. The city inspector came out to take a look, and the next thing I know, my builder puts flashing on top of a part of the roof above my Bay window that butts up against the front brick face of the house. Here, take a look:

It may be hard to see from the picture, but the flashing is on top of the brick AND on top of the shingles (above the bay window). Very tacky looking. There is a valley on the roof, right to the left of the garage, you can't see it in the picture, but it too had flashing put on top of the shingles.

I called the city inspector, he said he made a comment to the builder. The builder obviously forgot to install flashing when he was suppose to. It was an oversight. And the City Inspector I am guessing, told him he has to put the flashing on. But instead of tieing it into the brick and putting it lapped under the shingles, they just caulk it up there like that, over the window and in the valley.

Is this a code violation? (Southern building code). I hope so, I am going to try to get them to fix this. It doesn't look good, and everyone I speak to says its bad.

Can someone tell me what I should say to the builder to convince them? My private inspector returns from vacation in a few days and I am going to have him look at this. I am upset, because the builder wants to just paint it, and not even acknowledge that it never should have been done this way. Please, tell me what you think of the situation, was my builder wrong? What would you do.......

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC