> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Fixing leak.
Login | Register

Fixing leak.

Posted by Raymond VinZant Plm Prof on December 30th, 2002 12:47 PM
In reply to sump pit leaking by Jack Fairchild on December 30th, 2002 08:49 AM [Go to top of thread]

If the water is coming into the sump pit, that means the area of the basement is submerged in water. You need to find out the cause of the water around the basement. It could be you will have to reslope the grade around the basement foundation away from the foundation to keep the water from leaching in along the footings. Make sure the downspouts are extended away from the footings. If your home is build on a swamp, or in an area with a high water table, you may be able to do nothing about the water under the concrete. You might be able to repair the hole in the concrete sump, but the pressure will build up and start leaking elsewhere. If it was me, I would drill holes in the side of the sump so the water could get in, then pump it outside and away from the home. If you are able to then, lower the water table (unlikely because of the wet seasons we have had) patch the holes. But I prefer to use the sump basket as a collection point for the water.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC