> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > First-Time Home Buyer Needs Help.
Login | Register

First-Time Home Buyer Needs Help.

Posted by Mike on April 8th, 2001 04:04 AM

After buying my first home(two-story townhouse), I have found more problems than when I looked at it initially. Some are small but some are big. When I replaced the carpet throughout, I discovered a two-foot-section of the floor by a wall in the master bedroom was rotted out. After investigating further, rainwater is getting in from where the chimney(wood box around a metal chimney)meets the outside wall. After further investigation, I discovered the flashing on the roof side of the chimney wasn't installed correctly when the roof was replaced a year or so ago. The flashing goes up about eight inches on the wall of the chimney but where it meets the cricket at the bottom, it goes under the wall 1/2" and ends there. Shouldn't it doubleback under the shingles? I know nothing about who did this job and what kind of warranty was given. What will it take to fix this? I don't know if this is how rainwater is getting in since there are other areas which need caulking.

Also, the chimney extends about 10' above the roofline. I have tried to put a ladder on the roof so I could lean it against the chimney so I can get to the top to caulk there but the roof is so steep(at least 45 degrees, maybe even 60) the ladder feet just slide toward the cricket when I step onto the ladder. I can't put the ladder on the cricket because when I do, the ladder just points straight up; you can't climb a straight up ladder unless it is fastened to something. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would have to buy at least a 32' extension ladder($250)to reach this from the ground. I can do that but I won't need it for anything else since the association here does all the painting.

The floor in the master bath is sloped a little, toward the shower. A friend of mine told me the shower drain or faucet is leaking causing the plywood under the shower stall to flake off, weaken the floor, and cause sloping. It makes sense to me but how can I tell for sure what is really happening without tearing everthing apart.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC