> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > First, there are a kilzillon patterns of texturing
Login | Register

First, there are a kilzillon patterns of texturing

Posted by Moderator, Steve on August 11th, 2002 08:38 PM
In reply to making textured ceilings by Debbie Ritter on August 10th, 2002 08:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

there are crows foot, popcorn, knock down and on and on.

This is my two cents. I have always felt that only the original texturer can duplicate the original texture job. I always tell my customers that you will see the difference in the patterns and texturing with my patching. I do not do many if any where the spot or patch is visible, because my patches will show up when all done and painted.

The key is to feather the area to blend in with the old or surrounding texture. This encroaching will sort of mesh the new with the old even though the new is different. You are making your patch area larger thus harder to detect.

To do the job professionally and right, you would need to actually re texture the entire wall or ceiling area that has the patch.

I have seen some spots that I have refused and to return to that customer for someother work and to see that they found a texturer that did a wonderful job in meshing the two, but you can still see it. But then I tell the customer, I can see it because I know of it being there.

Another key is in paint sheen. Flat does not show off any imperfections, where semi and gloss magnify the defects. Then lighting also accents the spot also.

I would definately not try this yourself unless you have experience in this area. This is not for any person with out experience. Even if your ceiling is popcorn, that explosive popcorn patch in an aerosol can will do the popcorn all right, but it will depend on how much you use, how close or far you are from the target area. That Popcorn in a can is a nightmare. It empties out in about two seconds and is a huge mess. There is no opportunity for adjustments in a can. Once that trigger is pulled, there is no backing out and the trigger only works one time. At $14 a small can, this can be devastating.

I would bite the bullet and call a pro. It will save you money.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC