> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > First option is the easiest by far
Login | Register

First option is the easiest by far

Posted by Steve: on November 1st, 2000 08:20 PM
In reply to Formica back splash by Sylvia on November 1st, 2000 07:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

First, not to rain on your parade, but working with laminates is not easy by far. You have to deal with the thin skin, then with the contact glue that is totally unforgiving, and then you have to mount the board. I would think about my experience in this area first.

I would definately apply the laminate to a backer board then apply the board to the wall area. This is alot easier than working on a wall.

Use your contact glue for the glueing then do the trim work with a router and appropriate bit, then apply your ends pieces, then use liquid nails to mount the board to the wall, then caulk it in good and you have it.

Remember, using contact glue is tricky because once something touches the glue the laminate is set, no moving around or adjusting.

This is why some people use old venitian blinds as a buffer. apply the blind to the set up glue, then apply the laminate to the blind, then pull the blind out you should be set.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC