renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Fireproofing walls around wood stove?
Login | Register

Fireproofing walls around wood stove?

Posted by davebr549 on March 9th, 2005 12:06 PM

1 of 5 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Wall behind wood stove by tomh on 03/09/2005

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice and hope someone an help. I have an old house that’s been added onto. Someone built a raised hearth area for a wood stove in the corner of this room. They also built an approx. 24” square, exterior brick chimney, near this corner with a round ceramic pipe going thru the side for a stove pipe roughly 6’-0” above the finished floor. Then they started their 2x 4 stud wall “flush” with the brick chimney. Then used paneling for a finish- cutting out a 24” square- centered around the ceramic pipe and covered the edges of the paneling with a plastic trim. They covered the lower half of the wall with a thin brick veneer. Needless to say, the plastic distorted from the heat. The paneling can get pretty hot and seems to be a fire hazard.

I want to redo this room and this whole area around the wood stove- as we use the stove a lot. Since the studs are flush with the chimney, and I want to cover up the brick chimney itself, I was thinking about installing cement board -floor to ceiling around this area. Since it’s a noncombustible material, I was going to install it up to the ceramic pipe in the chimney. This would leave about 1” of space between the cement board and the stove pipe. The pipe wall ring will cover this area. Then paint the wall to match the adjacent walls.

My question is; How can I finish the cement board to look like drywall? I plan to use ½” thick c.b. to match the thickness of the drywall for a smooth transition. Do I need to skim coat the c.b. with drywall compound?? Has anyone done anything like this before??

Thanks in advance…..I’m just tired of looking at that whole area. It looks sloppy and unplanned!
Dave

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC