> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Fireblocking / Firestopping are different
Login | Register

Fireblocking / Firestopping are different

Posted by Dean on March 19th, 2003 11:17 AM
In reply to Firestopping info. by Mike McCoy on March 19th, 2003 06:24 AM [Go to top of thread]

Fireblocking is a building material installed to prevent the passage of flame and gasses through small concealed spaces (i.e. between the studs in walls and long continuous soffits).

Firestopping refers to an assemblage of materials that prevent the passage of flame and gasses at the voids around penetrations such as pipes and ducts as they pass through a membrane or fire rated assembly. These are typically mineral wool, or caulk or putty type products This doesn't typically apply in residential construction except possibly where you have an occupancy separation wall such as between the house and garage.

Definetly talk to YOUR inspector to find out exactly what is required in your project.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC