> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Finneran-Haley ...
Login | Register

Finneran-Haley ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 14th, 2000 08:30 PM
In reply to Consumer Report by Henry in MI on October 14th, 2000 08:55 AM [Go to top of thread]

This is the local paint that I rant and rave about. And I DO like Sherwin-Williams. There are an awful lot of people out there that will stand behind this paint.

And as others have said, to each his own. But one thing that I've used, at times, as a guide to helping me in my decision is, in this example, to look in the back of a Painter's Truck to see what he uses. When you look in a few trucks, you see nothing but the paints sold at the Paint Retailer stores. The Wal-Mart paints, the Home Depot paints, the K-Mart paints are marketed towards the DIYer. The DIYer isn't necessarily looking for quality - They're looking for value. (Here we go ...)

I've had an occasion to talk to a Pratt-Lambert expert on the phone once and I asked him why I should pay $26 a gallon for their paint when I could go into K-Mart and buy 'something similiar' for half the price. His reply was 1) IF K-Mart sold the 'same thing' in their store as the Pratt-Lambert Retail Stores did, the Retailers would be up in arms! THEY are P-L's LARGEST customer; NOT K-Mart. He said that K-Mart 'experts' come up with a 'formula' for their brand, P-L makes it, and puts K-Marts' label on the can. That's it. In short, he said in order to get 'value', you have to cut 'stuff' out of the formula. Hence, the drastic difference in price.

Now, one would say, "The P-L Rep. cut his own throat." No, not really. Remember, the RETAILER's are their largest 'consumer'; NOT K-Mart. Anyone who paints for a livelyhood has a lot more to 'risk' in terms of using one paint vs. the other. Yes, you'll find pro painters using K-Mart paint. BUT, if the job doesn't turn out right, word-of-mouth will end their business. (That's with ANY short-cutting in ANY business.) A pro painter has been known to tell a potential customer that 'one way' to cut down the cost of the job is to use a 'cheaper' paint. BUT, they will most likely try to talk the home owner out of it. Again, remember, it's their reputation. (If you saw a cheap paint flaking in someone's house, and asked them about it, I don't think you'll hear the homeowner saying, "I asked that the painter use a 'cheap paint' to save me $$$.")

Well, 'nough said. I could incite a riot if I haven't already! Yes, go ahead w/what Consumer Reports says. Bottom line is, if you're happy with the way the job turns out, you'd have found a 'favorite paint'.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC