> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > finishing pine
Login | Register

finishing pine

Posted by Henry in MI on March 31st, 2003 09:17 AM
In reply to staining pine woodwork by Chad on March 30th, 2003 09:38 PM [Go to top of thread]

Chad, I apply a "spit coat" of shellac on almost everything that I stain. I learned this after trying a lot of ways that don't work. The "spit coat" is one part 3# cut white shellac (Zinnser's in the yellow can) to 5 parts denatured alcohol. It dries almost immediately but do be aware of a possible fire hazard from the alcohol. Be sure that you have adequate ventilation and no sources of ignition. Also, be sure that any rags are totally dry before you dispose of them.

This is a better and cheaper alternative to "sanding sealers" and the like. Because they have large amounts of metallic salts, sanding sealers can have problems with adhesion of top layers of finish.

Stain materials like Minwax's that are a combination of dye and pigment stains work well with the spit coat. If you are planning to use a straight dye stain, aniline dye and it's variations that you mix when ready to use, there is no need for the spit coat. Gel stains are so thick that they are not made for seeing the true grain of the wood but can be used on pine if you like the look.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• to Henry by Chet  3/31/03 04:11 PM
  • Pine by Henry in MI  3/31/03 07:36 PM
  • Thanx by Chet  4/1/03 07:41 AM
  • Varnishing by Margaret Haapoja  5/13/04 08:22 AM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC