> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Finishing Basement
Login | Register

Finishing Basement

Posted by Dave on December 29th, 2001 03:51 PM

Hi All...I'm located in Georgia and am about to begin finishing my poured wall basement..a little at a time, as efficiently as possible. My house is 7 years old and the basement already has several 4x6 studded walls (primarily for support reasons) with treated boards where wood touches cement. I have performed some basic moisture tests such as taping aluminum foil sections in several areas on the floor and the cement walls and I have found no moisture underneath the foil, or any condensation on the outside of the foil. I am still planning on painting the walls with waterproofing paint just to be safe. I plan on my basement being used primarily as a rec area, small kitchenette area, and den. My question concerns the finishing on the poured concrete walls. I don't like the look of most paneling, and am leaning toward finishing with a combination of drywall and beadboard. The drywall seems to be the most cost effective, although I will be new at it and very slow I'm sure. From what I've read, I think I will glue rigid foam to the concrete walls, then somehow attach studding, then the drywall or beadboard. I would like to maximize the area in the room, and don't really want to use 2x4's. I'm afraid the 1x2's won't supply enough room for wiring, and the 2x2's are as costly as 2x4's around here..not sure. Any ideas? I want to plan as best as possible and have few regrets. This is something I've been promising my 13 year old son for about 5 years now that we can do together. He has about given up!
I will have to purchase some power tools other than the traditional hammer and cordless drill (etc.), and am planning on a table saw or circular saw, etc.
Anyway, re: the studding of the walls, etc., I have also wondered if it would be feasible to stucco the concrete walls, then run covered wiring on the outside of this as needed. Would this be an option? I don't have heating or A/C in my basement other than a wood heater, but plan on installing a few fan-forced wall heaters (electric). And, I plan on installing suspended ceilings (that will be a while away).I hate to be so lengthy, but want to be informative. Does this sound like a good plan? Any ideas to help me out? THanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC