> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Fiberon -vs- Existing Deck
Login | Register

Fiberon -vs- Existing Deck

Posted by Ben on April 7th, 2003 06:26 AM
In reply to Fiberon Decking vs. cement or another alternative by William Larro on March 9th, 2003 07:51 AM [Go to top of thread]

We are in the process of decising whether to build a new deck using Fiberon or just using Fiberon rails on top of the existing wood deck.

Since this is a fairly new product, we were wondering if there were any drawbacks to using FIBERON on top of the existing deck? A few of the existing wooden planks need to be replaced. But cost is always a factor. The deck is 12 deep by 24 wide with two separate stairways (2 and 3-step respectfully). I priced out the pieces yesterday at my local Home Depot. Each individual 12' plank was $18.95 - we would need approximately 45 of these. I also calculated that we would need between 4-5 rail sets (balisters, top caps, rails, etc.). This would be an additional $800-900. I am a bit fuzzy when it comes to figuring out hardware usage and steps. Having said that, my ballpark estimate for the entire project, if I installed it myself would be $2000. If installed by someone else the cost would be more.

We live on Long Island and the winters can beat the hell out of any material plus the sun beats down on the deck surface. I would like your opinion of the material and how it will hold up under these conditions.

If I provide the exact dimensions would you be able to give me an idea as to what pieces and how many I would need?

Some questions that I have are:
(1) Is the material slippery?
(2) What about scratches?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC