> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > fiberglass
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI on July 15th, 1998 06:50 PM
In reply to Shower stall crack by ken berlack on July 15th, 1998 01:18 PM [Go to top of thread]

Ken, this should be a fairly easy repair but I don't know about the cost/benefit since I don't know the cost of a fiberglass shower pan and replacing one. If it seems to you to be worth repairing, the first step is to drill holes at each end of the crack to keep it from spreading further--about 1/4" should be OK but be sure you find the end of the crack and lightly punch a starter spot for the drill, so it doesn't wander. Then with a rotary tool (Dremel or similar) or electric drill with a round rasp type bit, widen the crack to about 1/8". (this sounds harder than it is). Get some Bondo resin and fiberglass from an auto supply store or mass marketer's auto department. Mix some of the resin and hardener with cut up fiberglass--just cut with sissors so you have a pile of fibers about 1/4" long. It would be nice if you could apply masking tape on the back but you probably can't. With an acid brush (cheap and disposable), brush the resin/hardener/fiberglass mix into the crack, over filling as much as possible, and cover with wide masking tape so it doesn't run off. You will have to do this quickly as the mix will soon start to set up. After at least 8 hours, and preferably 24, remove the tape and sand starting with 100 grit and working down to 600, using a sanding block (or any flat wood scrap). Again this sounds a lot harder than it is and depending on what tools, etc. you have available, should not take more than an hour for prep and filling and 15 minutes of sanding. Wear a dust mask and let me know if you have questions.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC