> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > fabric wall covering
Login | Register

fabric wall covering

Posted by Annie on June 19th, 1998 01:50 PM
In reply to Fabric wall covering by Steve Scarcia on June 16th, 1998 05:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

I put up fabric on the walls in my girl's room. Prep is the same as for painting--fill in cracks and holes. Put on primer if the wallboard is unpainted. I used an inexpensive 100% cotton fabric that was only $3.00 a yard. The benefit of using fabric is that it is much wider than wallpaper and so you need less yardage. Use a wallpaper tray and undiluted liquid starch--the old blue fabric starch you remember from grade school. You can find the starch at places like Smart and Final or other wholesale stores. Dip the fabric in the liquid starch and squeeze some, but not all, of it out. Then apply to the wall like wallpaper, from the top down. Smooth it with your hands, but try not to stretch the fabric too much. I overlapped my edges by about 1/8" on each vertical run. Wipe off excess starch from baseboards or trim so it doesn't stain. If there are wrinkles after the fabric dries, simply use a spray bottle with water and ease the wrinkles out. It takes time and planning, like any project, but looks great and can hide imperfect walls.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC