renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > F.Y.I.
Login | Register

F.Y.I.

Posted by J. Cooksey on March 29th, 1998 08:23 AM
In reply to furnaces & air conditioner comparisons by steve on March 25th, 1998 11:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

He's right about the Janitrol unit. In fact, the Yugo is better! You might want to look at the Rheem units as well. But whatever you do, get at least 3 bids on the same unit. You will find some companies that think their work is gold plated to pay for their fancy trucks. One other thing, DON'T EVER LET AN A/C MAN TELL YOU THE EPA REQUIRES THAT IF YOU HAVE A FREON LEAK IN YOUR SYSTEM THAT THEY CAN FILL IT ONCE AND THEN THEY ARE REQUIRED BY THE EPA TO FIX THE LEAK. IF THE LEAK IS NOT FIXED THEY HAVE TOLD ME THAT THE BOTH OF US CAN BE FINED $10,000. THIS IS A COMPLETE LIE. THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO FIX A LEAK IN ANY A/C SYSTEM THAT HOLDS LESS THAN 50 LBS. OF FREON. AUTO A/C MEN USE THIS SAME DECEPTIVE TRADE TECHNIQUE. THERE'S NO REQUIREMENT TO FIX ANY LEAK IN ANY AUTO SYSTEM NO MATTER THE TYPE OF FREON. I HAVE TALKED WITH THE EPA ON THEIR HOTLINE NUMBER AND THEY CINFIRMED MY RESEARCH ON THE CLEAN AIR ACT. YOU MAY HAVE A STATE REGULATION THAT DIFFERS FROM THE EPA, BUT THE ONLY STATE REG WE HAVE HERE IN TEXAS IS THAT YOU MUST BE CERTIFIED TO BUY FREON IN TEXAS...AND THAT IS IT. I TALKED WITH THE STATE AS WELL. IF ANYONE TELLS YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO FIX THE LEAK IN AANY SYSTEM THAT HOLDS LESS THAN 50 LBS OF FREON, ASK THEM TO SHOW YOU IN WRITING WHERE THE EPA REQUIRES THIS. LET'S STOP DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICE. In fact, in helping to select an a/c company you might want to ask them if you have a leak is there a requirement to fix it as requlated by the EPA. If they feed you a line of bull look elsewhere. Find a company that is honest! Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC