> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Exterior sealer for cedar shakes in Georgia
Login | Register

Exterior sealer for cedar shakes in Georgia

Posted by Eileen Lange on September 15th, 1999 01:48 PM
In reply to painting a house by greg on August 29th, 1998 03:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

I live in a wood ranch house and have three areas with cedar shakes. They have been high pressure washed to remove all finishes and mildew. I am old and on a pension, and do not want to have to constantly refurbish the beautiful natural colored cedar shakes. I intend to add M-1 Additive (chlorothalonil 52%) to kill/control mildew to the sealer, but I am at a loss for a long term sealer finisher to apply. Can you suggest a really good one. I plan to give 3 coats. One side of the house always deteriorates
faster. I want something that can handle the GA sun and rain well. The cedar is not top grade and is a porous wood. Can you recommend a product and tell me how long I should expect it to last? Last time I used Behr. It took too many coats to seal and ended darkening the wood considerably. Is 3 coats a reasonable amt. for the prod. you recommend? Is the additive I plan to use okay for sealers? Thank you for helping me.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• cedar sealer by Linda F Smith  6/5/03 06:39 PM
  • Cedar by Mr. Paint  6/5/03 08:35 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC