> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Exterior Latex Enamel Paint
Login | Register

Exterior Latex Enamel Paint

Posted by Steve Jones on August 10th, 2000 11:46 AM

I had a terrible experience with a paint yesterday.

Here is the scenerio: Painted exterior of home, no problem, customer wante his previously dark green flat sheen front door painted a deep forest green color in emanel. I really took aback with this decision, but, its their door. I had never used emanel in this manner. I could not visualize a high sheen like this on a front door.

anyway, I cleaned the door, lightly sanded the door, did not use a primer. Stirred up the paint and proceded to paint it on. Well the first coat went on very splotchy and looked like metalic paint going on a plastic car.

Figured it would definately need a second coat. Waited and applied another coat. Looked even worse. Began giving off an antique look. very splotchy and light green here and dark green there. Every paint stroke showed up. Looked very tacky.

Waited again and went on with another coat. Looked progressively worse. Could not achieve a solid, consistently looking color.

Slightly thinned the paint figuring that it was so thick, this might make the finish coat look more consistent and proper. This did not work either.

Called my dealer and they said that a combination of the dark color and the emamel sheen over a color of the same nature, but lighter, is making this difficult.

Left message with the customer about me dis satisfaction with outcome. They decided to go back with the same dark color but in semi gloss.

I realize that I will need to sand the surface, but will semi gloss solve my problem? Should I definately prime the door first now? Will Semi gloss fix the problem.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC