> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Experiencing a Homeowners Nightmare Part 2
Login | Register

Experiencing a Homeowners Nightmare Part 2

Posted by steve Jones on June 7th, 2000 09:26 PM

part one entry on June 05, 2000
Complete RE-Plumb coming along as scheduled.
Today I witnessed the neatest part of this project. Boring under my 30 foot driveway and a walkway all in one part.
The borer brought out his mini backhole tractor, a hydraulic pump and his boring machine. he dug of course the two work holes on each side of the areas. the boring machine was 5 feet long, 24 inches wide and had a aiming sight system, adjustment system for fall, and a leveling tool for the levelness of the system. Then the tool had feet that braced itself against the walls of the hole. The hole itself was 6 feet deep, the boring hole was 3 feet from surface. The machine weighed 700 pounds and was hooked up to the pumb on the surface connected by two hydraulic lines. The borer was set in the hole by the bucket of the backhole chained on.

A pole was set in the achieveing hole dead center. the machine had a rear and front sight that when a rope was streatched from the achieving hole to the entry hole, you could line up the rope to the two sights to make sure you were on target. A bubble adjustment lever was used to achieve the correct fall, 1/4 inch per foot of pipe.

The machine took only 2 1/2 foot pipe sections that were manually screwed on to the preceding pipe. this short section borer made it possible for you to have a small hole and not have 16 feet of pipe in the ditch with you.

When the position was correct he carefully loaded each section and began the push forward. the acutal boring was quicker than the set up. The hole took 30 minutes to bore and three hours to set up.

As the sections were loaded and launched i was at the achieving end watching for the pipe and wondering how close or how far he would be off. As I waited, the end came through and he was perfectly in line with the achieving hole and the pvc pipe laid in the hole. I was amazed. The pipe had a diameter of only 2 inches and made from very heavy machined metal.

When the pipe was through he installed a expander tip and then reversed the process and drug the expander tip which made the hole the diameter of whatever size Pvc you were inserting. As he returned all the pipe, you could see the perrectly carved hole and all that was now needed was to glue the sections and push it through.

This borer costs $10K.

i was very impressed with his skills and accuracy. he said that he has done the same with up to 150 feet. What you have to watch out for is when you hit a big object, the head starts to deviate, when that happens, he has a directional finder and course changer bit that he manually adjusts on the machine that then corrects the course. Just too neat.

Just spending time, sorry if I bored you. HA, get the pun.

Have a good Day,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC