> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Excuse me, but you all are WRONG !!!
Login | Register

Excuse me, but you all are WRONG !!!

Posted by Ed Parker on March 7th, 2000 08:04 AM
In reply to Linear Feet?? by Steve S. on March 6th, 2000 08:05 AM [Go to top of thread]

A custom installed kitchen coutertop will be measured from each wall to the end, with NO deduction for the width of the other counter. Why you ask? Because the additional labor involved in producing a corner section is more than that for a straight run. Do you think the guy with a straight 10 foot top is paying the same price as someone with a Z-shaped top that totals 10 feet? Of course not !!! Expect to pay $28-$35/foot for an average custom made Formica top. $100/foot for Corian. Stay away from Home Cheapo and Lowes for custom items, as they use very thin laminates (there is a difference) and offer terrible customer service. Find a local kithen and bath center or a cabinet shop to do this for you and you will be much more satisfied with the entire job, both before and after the sale. I guarantee it !! Now, to correct Jim-ATS, you would NEVER put a seam near a sink or stove. While that may make sense from a visual perspective, the heat and moisture attributed to these areas may eventually cause the seam to fail. Also, 45 degree corners DO exist, they are actually quite common with wood plank laminates. The substrate is what needs to turn the corner in one piece. Pre-made, post formed tops also utilize 45 degree corners, where both sustrate and surface join together with underside clamps, but maybe not the best practice, unless installed with diligence to protect the seam from moisture penetration. Also, laminates with directional patterns are NOT laid in the same direction, as you stated. Are you suggesting a butcher-block style laminate on an L-shaped counter would have "boards" running parallel to the edge on one side and perpendicular on the other? I don't think so !! Most likely there wouold be a 45 degree seam at the corner to keep everything parallel to the face. 99% of laminate styles are multidirectional and have patterns that can be joined from either direction. (...and the's a QUALIFIED resonse !!!)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC