> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Excess Interior Moisture
Login | Register

Excess Interior Moisture

Posted by JoAnne on January 23rd, 2003 09:09 AM
In reply to Find the source! by Jason on January 19th, 2003 08:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

Thanks Jason for the info. We have been through the house as you suggested and could not find any moisture problems. The research that I have done since states that the medal clad exterior on the windows is not energy efficient it is condusive to the cold. I live in Vermont, on an Island where we have a lot of wind coupled with 0 degree temperatures. The stress skin panels are great and everyone we know who has them says the houses are tight we have come to the conclusion that a air flow problem is occurring and the medal on the outside of the windows as well is causing the problem. I have also checked on what the humidity levels in a home should be they state that between 40 and 50 percent would be the comfort and health zone. Below 40% causing dry skin, sinus etc problems and above 50% mold an mildew problems. I bought a humidity and temp thermometer and right now the humidity is 34% in our home. I do not view this as excess humidity in the home. In order for these windows not to sweat at the temperatures we are experiencing it probably would have to be zero per cent humidity given your example of your home. I do not believe we have the right windows for the climate we live in. They also stated that medal exterior windows are cheap to make but unfortunately they were not cheap to purchase. We also had a service man come out to our home and he is replacing two doors and one sweep on another. We have not decided what to do about the windows yet.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC