> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Excess humidity from drainage system?
Login | Register

Excess humidity from drainage system?

Posted by Bruce M on February 1st, 1998 05:51 PM
In reply to Weep Holes, Indoor humidity by George on February 1st, 1998 06:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi George:

I doubt that this small amount of water sitting in your drainage pipe is causing increased humidity in your first floor living area. In fact, 48% humidty is considered, by most people, to actually be a bit low, and a higher level is often desirable during the dry cold winter months. However, you do raise a good point about standing water, however small the amount, in your drainage pipe. In my experience, standing water is never good. Were I to do mine again, I think I would put in a 2" vent pipe at the high end of the drainage system, running it up the corner and out of the wall, with a protective screen on the end (to keep vermin out), and allow air to circulate through the pipe to the low end of the drainage system, where the pump exhaust pipe goes up and out the wall. Some might think this overkill, but it would make me feel better.

The problem with condensation in your living area is most likely due to a very tight house not allowing any fresh air in and cold windows. This always results in condensation on the windows. The only fix to this I know of is dehumidifying and/or use of thermal exchange air pumps: exchange moist inside air with dryer out side air, transferring the heat in the process.

Best wishes

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC